**Please note, we are not the 4th ave jail, if you are looking for the status of an inmate, call (602) 876-0322

How to Get Property from an Inmate in the Maricopa County Jail System

Arrested in Arizona? Call Today for Help!

When inmates enter a Maricopa County jail (whether 4th Avenue, 1st Avenue, Durango, Estrella, Lower Buckey, Madison, Tent City, or Towers Jail), they may release their property to anyone. An inmate might release his or her property to a private attorney, public defender, or other lawyer. He or she might choose to release it to a caseworker or a probation officer.

Here’s a short video explaining the process:

Before being transferred to the Department of Corrections, the inmate will be allowed to complete a doc release form. The inmate can, at his or her discretion, allow the property to be given to anyone who comes down to ask for it. Alternatively, the inmate may choose to name a particular person to receive the property. The inmate must specify the location where the property should be picked up.

Helpful Link: For more Frequently Asked Questions about the MCSO Jails, click here first, then click the Jail Information tab

Inmates have just 72 hours after being booked to release all of the money in their inmate accounts. If an inmate does not make this release within that time frame, any late request to release money will have to earn the approval of the Jail Commander.

If you need to get property from an inmate who is housed in a Maricopa County jail, there are two key rules you need to know:

  • You must present a valid identification card. The ID must be issued by the state or federal government and contain a photo. Acceptable forms of identification include a current driver’s license, a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) identification card, or an immigration card such as a resident alien card or a work visa. You cannot use a picture ID from a non-government entity such as Costco or Sam’s Club.
  • To get property from an inmate, your must pick up the property within ten days. If you do not do so, it will be sent to be destroyed.

If you need help with a legal matter and would like to speak with an attorney about an inmate’s case, please call (602) 307-0808 to schedule a free consultation. You may also use our confidential web form too.

Call Now Button