Partner / Criminal Defense Attorney
- Arizona State University
- Bachelor of Justice Studies – 1990
- University of Dayton
- Juris Doctorate – 1994
- Arizona – 1994
- United States District Court, District of Arizona – 1994
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist – Arizona Board of Legal Specialization
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell peer review
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- State Bar of Arizona, Criminal Law Section
- State Bar of Arizona, Criminal Law Advisory Commission – 2020,2021
- Extensive Trial Experience
- Former Maricopa County Probation Officer
Joey Hamby became an attorney in 1994. He joined DM Cantor in 2014 and became a partner in 2020. Joey is a Board Certified Specialist in Criminal Law per the State Bar of Arizona, Board of Legal Specialization, and his practice focuses on major felonies in Arizona and in Federal District Courts around the nation. Joey also helps clients deal with the consequences of criminal charges and has represented his clients before various licensing boards, including medical and nursing boards. Over the years he has personally been counsel of record on hundreds of felony and misdemeanor cases in state and federal courts. Joey represents clients in all stages of their cases, from pre-charge investigation through jury trial.
Joey also began working on death penalty cases over twelve years ago. He successfully represented multiple clients charged with first degree murder and facing the possibility of capital punishment. He has also been a Rule 32 (now Rule 33) expert on a capital case. Joey has tried three capital cases to conclusion.
Joey received his Bachelor’s degree through the Justice Studies Program at Arizona State University and he received his J.D. from the University of Dayton in Ohio. Between college and law school Joey worked as a probation officer in Maricopa County.