If you have been charged with DUI in Scottsdale, you are no doubt worried about the consequences of a DUI conviction. Finding the right criminal lawyer for case in Scottsdale who can aggressively defend you in a DUI case can be difficult. The Law Offices of David Michael Cantor and our team of DUI Defense Attorneys are experienced in preparing the best DUI defense strategy for cases based in Scottsdale. Whether you were arrested during a Scottsdale DUI task force, or simply caught headed home after a night out in Old Town, our team will work tirelessly to defend you, working toward the goal of having the DUI charges dismissed or reduced. David Michael Cantor, the principle partner of The Law Offices of David Michael Cantor has a documented, proven track record of over 1,600 DUI Case Victories in Arizona over the last 25 years. Let us show you why we are routinely referred to as the best DUI lawyers in Scottsdale.
Got a DUI, what are the DUI Penalties in Scottsdale?
The penalties and consequences for a DUI conviction in Scottsdale are the same as any city in the State of Arizona. The DUI laws in Scottsdale are some of the toughest in the nation, which means you will need a highly skilled, experienced lawyer for Scottsdale DUI cases. The penalties for a first offense DUI in Scottsdale are as follows:
Misdemeanor DUI (.08 – .149 Blood Alcohol Content)
- 10 Days Jail, Driver’s License suspension for 90 Days, Ignition Interlock Device installed for 1 year, Alcohol Screening and Classes, & Fines totaling over $1,500
Extreme DUI (.15 – .199 Blood Alcohol Content)
- 30 Days in Jail, Driver’s License suspension for 90 days, Ignition Interlock Device installed for 1 year, Alcohol Screening and Classes, & Fines totaling over $2,700
Super Extreme DUI (.20+ Blood Alcohol Content)
- 45 Days in Jail, Driver’s License suspended for 90 days, Ignition Interlock Device installed for 18 months, Alcohol Screening and Classes, & Fines of over $3,200
First Offense Aggravated DUI (3rd DUI in 7 Years, DUI when License is Suspended, & a DUI with a child under 15 years old in the Car)
- A Felony Conviction = Loss of Civil Rights (Right to Vote & Bear Arms), minimum of 4 Months in Prison (for a 3rd DUI in 7 years or a DUI with a suspended license), Revocation of Driver’s License, Ignition Interlock Device, Alcohol Assessment and Classes
The penalties for a 2nd or 3rd offense DUI in Scottsdale are much more severe with a significant amount of required jail time. If you would like to learn more about the other possible DUI charges, click here.
DUI Defense in Scottsdale: Preparing a Successful Defense
Scottsdale DUI cases are similar to DUI cases in other cities in Arizona. As stated before, our goal is to create the best defense for your specific DUI case in Scottsdale. Once we analyze the facts of the case it will be easier for us to suggest a strategy that will work. David Michael Cantor is a member of the National College of DUI defense and he has over 25 years of experience in creating successful DUI defenses. There are many ways to attack a DUI charge in the City of Scottsdale DUI Court but some of the most effective are:
- Denial of Right to Counsel – If you are detained for DUI in Scottsdale and request a lawyer, the police officer must get you to a phone as soon as reasonably possible, if they ignore your request, that could be grounds for a dismissal.
- No Probable Cause for Arrest – If an officer does not have probably cause for an arrest, it can be thrown out. The NTSB has set standards for FST (Field Sobriety Tests) and if they are administered incorrectly, that could qualify as no probable cause for an arrest.
- No Actual Physical Control of the Vehicle – Scottsdale summers can be hot. If you’ve had too much to drink but decide to sleep it off in a parking lot but leave the vehicle running for the Air Conditioning, you aren’t in physical control of the vehicle.
- Inaccuracy of Blood or Breath Testing Equipment – Arizona Department of Health Services (DHS) has established rules for the maintenance of breath testing devices and we will check those records to see if there are any abnormalities. If the device is out of calibration between set testing dates, then the breath test results would be inadmissible in court.
- No Reasonable Suspicion to Stop – Scottsdale Police are not allowed to stop you based on sex, religion, gender, age or any other possible discriminatory reasons.
Our DUI Defense team has been very successful when trying cases in Scottsdale Municipal Court, here is an example of a DUI Dismissed in Scottsdale:
(Scottsdale Municipal Court No. 9811790CR): Ms. D. was involved in a multiple car accident and was subsequently arrested for Extreme DUI. She submitted a .190 breath sample. We were able to show that the calibration records for the Intoxilyzer machine were insufficient and the breath test results were suppressed. The Scottsdale City Prosecutor’s Office subsequently dismissed all charges.
If you would like to speak with one of our DUI lawyers about your case, please call (602) 307-0808 to schedule a Free Case Review & Consultation.
Scottsdale Municipal Court: Judges and Location
The DUI team at the Law Offices of David Michael Cantor has many years of experience with DUI and other criminal cases charged in Scottsdale Municipal Court. Given this, our attorneys know the idiosyncrasies of the Scottsdale City Court Judges. So, who are the judges in the Scottsdale court? The current judges presiding over the Scottsdale Municipal Court are Jim Blake, Joe Olcavage, Orenst Jejna, and Stacia Hendrix. Here’s a piece of advice, when you go to court in Scottsdale, dress nicely, clean up (shave), don’t wear a baseball cap and make sure you are there BEFORE you are supposed to appear in court. And most importantly, be respectful when facing the judge, which can go along way! David Michael Cantor produced a short video explaining the Scottsdale Municipal Court and also about the presiding judges, take a look:
Scottsdale Municipal Court Details
Scottsdale Municipal Court
3700 N 75th St
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Directions to the Court: The courthouse is located in between Indian School Rd. and E Osborn Rd. To find parking for the court, there is a parking lot located to the northwest of the courthouse building. Otherwise you might be able to find some street parking along 75th St.
Should I hire a Scottsdale DUI Lawyer?
Are you willing to accept the punishment that comes along with a DUI in Scottsdale? The only chance you have to get the DUI charges dismissed or reduced is to hire an aggressive and experienced DUI lawyer like David Michael Cantor and his team. Not only is David a member of the National College for DUI Defense, but he is also a Certified Criminal Law Specialist by the Arizona Board of Legal Specialization. David has also trained police officers and judges on DUI matters in Arizona. Our firm has over 1,600 documented DUI victories and we know the DUI laws and defenses inside and out. If you would like a free consultation with one of our DUI attorneys, please call us at (602) 307-0808 to schedule an appointment. The appointment lasts about 30 minutes in our office, and we’ll even pay for your parking (if you park in the garage below our building). Call or email us and we’ll set an appointment for you to go over your DUI case and give you an idea of how we’d defend you in Scottsdale court.